Monday, July 19, 2010

Boomers on the Road 6/20/10

I am still suffering from a nagging lower back pain that has had me bed ridden for far too long...it's hell getting old! I am in heaven, otherwise, completely enjoying this gorgeous northwest region and feeling the nostalgia of my youth in so many sights and smells. Just the air has the most delicious smell to it and even though Tom is unhappy with the ever present overcast and frequent drizzle, I am feeling cozy and have been working on my crochet blanket. I started it before Isabella was born, as her 'baby blanket' and she is nearly a year and a half old already. The joke has been that she'll be able to use it as a dorm blanket when she heads off to college.
While we've been here, in Monroe, Washington, we have not really done a lot of visiting....mostly just hanging out at the campground, which is lovely and situated on the banks of the Snohomish River with the Cascade Mountains as a back drop to the rich greens and misty grays of the trees. The staff at the park keep it beautifully groomed and the landscaping is lush and interesting with several foot bridges crossing and re-crossing of a swiftly running stream that you can follow to the river where it adds to the rush of the clear cold glacier run-off, speeding along to find the Puget Sound. I have been daydreaming of a ferry ride, through the San Juan Islands, with my grandchildren and now I'm hoping that once Kaylanne and Izzy get here on Wednesday that we can all spend a day on the water looking for Orcas and sipping cocoa from the onboard cafe'.
One day, in an effort to loosen up my back by walking a little, we drove over to the town of Snohomish where I remembered eating at a newly opened restaurant located in a great old house in the middle of town. Now, thirty plus years later, I was delighted to find it still in existence and thriving. It had suffered a fire a few years ago, but the owner has admirably restored this beautiful building to it's former grandeur and the same memorable and comforting cabbage soup was still on the menu. It was very difficult to make a decision as to what to have for our late lunch and both of us opted for one of the daily specials. We were both delighted with the smoked salmon benedicts with crispy yet tender pan fried red potatoes and Tom also (upon my recommendation) was happy with his cup of soup. Even though they had a tempting list of regional desserts available, I was just too stuffed to even try a bit and even had to ask for a box to bring half of my meal with us. There is nothing like having such a tasty treat later in the evening when you're feeling hungry again and thinking about the meal you enjoyed earlier that day. A moment in the microwave and voila! another moment of bliss.
Rhubarb is in season here, and of course I am in search of one of my favorite pies, yet have not found one....so far. I'm not about to give up, but just can't bring myself to settle for a combination rhubarb-strawberry pie. I am more inclined to be satisfied with any other regional offering. As yet, everywhere we've eaten has been so generous in portions that my sweet tooth has gone un-satisfied except for the "store bought" chocolate cake and vanilla bean ice cream that Tom brought home one night for our evening meal.
I am lying a bit here...I did have a cinnamon roll for breakfast on two occasions, once when Tom brought a couple up from the big red barn here in the campground that is used as a family center where they also serve breakfast on Saturday mornings and provide the cinnamon rolls on Sundays. The other one, definitely home made and swimming in rich cream cheese icing, was shared by myself and grand-daughter (Chloe Nashelle) while waiting for our breakfast to arrive the morning after her overnight stay with us. Tom had had the chance to eat in a small cafe' on the main street in Monroe while awaiting the very expensive repairs to our hard working truck, and he was anxious to share it with us. The inside of the restaurant is all booths and much like you'd expect from a small town except for the murals. On every wall are exceptional works of art depicting the growth of the town, with great scenes of the river, Mount Index, and easily recognizable stars of yesteryear any of us old folks would remember well. Along the wall across from us were portraits of Marshall Dillon and Miss Kitty from Gunsmoke, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood...more than I can recall. As we were swiveling our heads enjoying the art work, the owner came bye to see if we were enjoying our meals and stayed for quite a lengthy visit and insight to the murals and the characters. During our visit the artist came in and we were all introduced. I was in heaven enjoying the interesting company and stimulating conversation, knowing that the experience was having a profound effect on sweet Chloe. She herself is a budding artist and recognizes her father's talent as well. Anyway; I surely do not want to undermine the food....huge portions and delicious omelets that covered more than half the plate, which were themselves the size of small serving platters.
Oh, once again it seems that I have prattled on forever here. I hope that all of you were able to honor your fathers and spend the day celebrating together. Even though my own father is long passed from this globe, he lives strong in my heart and memories. This was his home state, where he grew up, went to college and died after an interesting life and tremendous influence on many. One of his favorite summer breakfasts included a compote of freshly picked blackberries, slices of sweet juicy peaches and delicate, purple stained slices of ripe bananas. This amazing recipe he called "Heavenly Hash" and we had it on pancakes, waffles or just in a bowl with peanut butter toast on the side. Thanks Pop, for the love and the wonderful memories of you and my youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment