Friday, January 21, 2011

In a Nut Shell for this week...Friday, 1/21/11

While shopping at Publix this week I came across an interesting sounding broth while looking for chicken stock. College Inn brand has introduced a culinary broth called Thai Coconut Curry for only $2 for a 32 ounce box. Tonight Kaylanne was visiting with Isabella and all I had was a little leftover chicken and some fresh asparagus. I pulled out the new broth and we added a can of coconut milk, sliced up some of the chicken and chopped several spears of asparagus into small pieces. As the broth and coconut milk were heating, I stirred in about 1/2 teaspoon of Thai Curry paste and after a preliminary tasting added a little orange zest and a couple of heaping teaspoons of...get this...key lime yogurt. I also had about 2 cups of leftover basmati rice in the fridge so once the soup base was hot, all of the other ingredients were stirred in and "voila", a delicious soup in minutes using just what I had 'on hand'. I could live on this soup! The next time you are shopping and see something interesting...pick it up. You never know what will happen with it once you get it into your pantry. I now have a new favorite ingredient to keep on hand. Already my brain is grinding out ideas for ways to use this wonderful, flavorful stock.
We have been trying to get Kaylanne to understand the universal law of "you reap what you sow" and how it applies to every aspect of life, including your finances. If one spends what they don't have and just keep on spending when they cannot afford it, they open an outward flowing conduit that can only be stopped by a virtual tourniquet on spending if one is to save their financial life. On the other hand, if you only spend less than what you have coming in, save money and avoid spontaneous buying, the flood gates will open inward and money will not be an issue in your life, you will always have an abundance...as long as you follow the rule of keeping your ledger in the black. She has been filling out employment applications in search of a job, while being very careful in her spending, and now the job offers are pouring in. She will actually have the enviable position of being able to choose the job with the best earning potential and working conditions that appeals to her.
She is still in "miser mode" and dreaming of furnishing her new digs. I'm trying to convince her to wait until she finds something she absolutely loves, thinks about long after first seeing it and finds it to be something of great quality for a fair price. If she can continue to apply the old "YRWYS" law as she goes about furnishing her home, I have every belief that she will find herself living comfortably, happily and feeling a great sense of accomplishment and gratification with her life. Patience is always a virtue and results in great reward when paired with deliberate, intentional actions of prudent and frugal spending. God affords us so much in life that is satisfying and enjoyable that is completely free for the asking. He blesses us beyond our wildest expectations when we prove ourselves good stewards of his many graces and all we have to do is get out there and follow his will for us. Of course it doesn't happen by just sitting on the couch and watching "Wheel of Fortune" or indulging in lottery tickets; we do have to get out there and contribute to our community, our jobs and families and keep our lives in forward motion. There is a commercial I've seen on the television several times (don't ask me what they're selling, I don't know) that quotes another universal law..."things that are static have a tendency to remain static and things in motion have a tendency to stay in motion". We all know it is easier to keep something moving than it is to start it off from a dead stop.
On that note, I guess I'd have to include staying in shape. I find that if I just sit around reading, watching t.v., crocheting or doing little else, I become less and less motivated to do anything. When Izzy is around and I'm having to chase her, walk with her to the play ground, come up with fun activities and play with her, I feel better and more motivated to eat better because I want her to eat better. If you think about it, I'm sure you can apply these basic laws of nature to your life and remind yourself how easy it is to get the ball rolling in your direction to improve you life. I guess that's about it in a nutshell...

1 comment:

  1. I have that the key to life in general is "Forward Motion" or to just keep going. I really feel is so many ways this is really true. If you have something that gets you out of bed in the morning it is a gift.
    I am excited for Kay and would love to see new pics of her new place and furniture she chose.
    Oh and your soup sounded divine. Wish I could have shared a bowl with you.
    Love you Momma Nash

    ReplyDelete