Monday, January 31, 2011

Rice Krispies

Thanks to my great-granddaughter I am rediscovering the joy of Rice Crispy Treats...of course we bent the original recipe and I think it is a hit, right out of the ball park. Using the old fashioned "stove top" method, I melted a half stick of butter (use the real stuff, now, not margarine or any other alternative), added a full bag of caramel swirl marshmallows, which we found at Wal-Mart, and once the goo was melted down good, I added about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon or so of vanilla. In my big wooden mixing bowl, that I use for making bread, I had dumped a generous 6 cups of the famous crispy rice cereal and then poured the whole pot of the sticky stuff over it, stirred it up with a wooden paddle and, 'voila', a really great quick treat, all grown up and still suitable for the kiddies. I'm thinking the next batch I will have to add some chopped nuts to it; probably some lightly toasted pecans or walnuts would be the most compatible. I noticed there is a growing availability of flavored marshmallows which makes me think that a whole new wave of recipes might be in the making. If you come up with one, let me know, either by email or Face Book. Now that we're sitting with Izzy every day that Kaylanne is working, I'll be in search of things to do with her. At only two years old, she is already exhibiting a love of cooking and helps me in the kitchen as often as I let her. She is already proficient at stirring and measuring, with a special flair for adding just the right amount of salt. I think it is because she likes to lick her palm afterwards.
We have enjoyed the sneak peek at spring with its warmer temperatures. I had a case of cabin fever far worse than I realized. The visits to the playground with Izzy have become a regular outing, several times a day. Although it is raining today, I plan to check out the community services to find her some kind of activity. We have discovered an in-door pool so I'm hoping to get her into some type of swim program and get her 'tuned up' for a summer of visits to the beach. A community theater gives me hope of some interesting and artistic outlets, also. It seems centuries since I've had to drive a little girl to ballet or girl scouts, but it would appear God has a few more in store for me.
Kaylanne seems totally delighted with her new job at the market where she is working. A long list of benefits that will be hers, with time, has her thinking about the future and getting into a routine. While we were in the Wal-Mart (getting the marshmallows) a very handsome man flirted with her and while we were putting our groceries into her car he struck up a conversation with us. She dismissed him; he was too old for her by her own standards, but I'm sure the attention lifted her spirits a little. We had a pleasant discussion on the way home about her expectations and what she's looking for in a companion. I am proud of this young woman and see a little of myself in her. Of course, she is doing much better in managing her young life that I was at her age.
Well, Poppa Tom is watching cartoons with our little angel and I had better get going on my research to find some fun stuff to do today. Maybe the zoo, but for sure, even with the drizzle, it is a beautiful day outside and I need to get out of this little nest. I'll be looking forward to hearing from some of you with your own special cereal treat recipes. So, that's about it, in a nutshell.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited to read your blog as we love Kaylanne and Bella (Izzyy). We miss seeing them and are happy that they are with you. Those grands give so much joy and pleasure. Thanks again. It's been a very long time since I've made rice krispies. You inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to have Izzy on Kay's work days.
    Here are some ideas
    park
    mall
    gymboree classes
    nature walks
    swimming
    library for story hour

    those are just a few off the top of my head, all of which I bet you have already thought of.
    Love you Momma Nash <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this blogging thang gets better and better

    ReplyDelete