Sunday, January 9, 2011

In a Nut Shell

When I was a kid, other kids used to try to tease me by calling me "Nutshell" instead of Nashelle; the only problem with the ribbing was that it never bothered me. Actually, I kind of liked it so they stopped after a short time and I was more disappointed to have lost my 'nick name' than I had ever felt being teased about my unusual name. I think part of the acceptance of the moniker was that my mom often concluded a story by saying "That's about it, in a nutshell" so it seemed to me that to be considered the 'end of the story' was actually a kind of compliment.
Lately I have had so many people approach me and tell me that they miss reading my columns that I have become kind of embarrassed about being so lazy. Part of my silence has been that we haven't been doing much traveling lately, so writing a bit titled "Boomers on the Road" seemed to invalidate anything I had to write about. So, just as "Food for Thought" morphed into "Boomers on the Road", my articles will now be morphed into "In a Nutshell", a kind of tongue in cheek reference to being the 'end of the story' while allowing me the latitude to write about anything that comes to my mind. I hope you all like the outcome of this latest incarnation of my writing. I've tried 'blogging' but just can't seem to get into it. I never know if anyone is reading my stuff on the internet and I know that with the Tribune, at least I have a built in readership.

We came into Quitman on Monday, following New Year's Day, to return Kaylanne and Isabella to the farm after a blissful week long visit. Tom and I had spent the Christmas holiday with the family at the homestead, staying in Tom Junior's living room and sleeping on the futon. Izzy and Kaylanne came back with us to Gulf Shores to investigate the possibility of relocating down here.

Being a tourist destination, this area has many opportunities for employment in the hospitality business and the campus of Falkner State College, located right in town, has a great culinary school which appeals to Kaylanne and her dream of becoming a pastry chef. After looking at several possible investment properties, Kaylanne has decided that the move is the right thing for her future and she has leased a great little two bedroom apartment and will be returning later this month to move in and start her job search. I gotta admit that I am over the moon with the thought that she will pursue a career in food service and be close enough to us that I can be with Izzy while Kaylanne works; at least until Isabella is ready to enroll in a pre-school. We have already scoped out a great little school at the United Methodist Church that is convenient.

Speaking of food.....on Monday, while we were in town, Tom and I went over to Stonewall to visit Christy's, located in my old restaurant location, and had a tasty lunch of tender pot roast followed by a warm peach cobbler. I opted to have it without the scoop of ice cream and it was wonderful with lush cinnamon tones. The food is honest and straight forward, the service made us feel like celebrities and the decor, reminiscent of my old place, was cozy and comfortable. I know Clarke County is glad to finally have this great team in business, offering breakfast on Saturdays, brunch on Sundays and lunch all week long; they're also serving dinners on Wednesday evenings as well as Thursdays and Fridays.

Well, I guess that's about it for this week. It's nice to be back. God's blessings on each of you in the coming year. Happy New Year, everybody...

No comments:

Post a Comment