Thursday, July 26, 2012

Emma Faith

Yesterday my beautiful daughter(in-law) sent an email to me with an attachment. I am still reeling from its impact. That unobtrusive little click still echos in my brain. If you're wondering what the heck could make such an impression on an old woman, I can only say....too bad for you, that I can not make this wonderful moment available to you. My amazing granddaughter, Emma, recorded a song at her greatUncle Jim's studio. The only background is a lilting riff played on piano by a family friend. At first I was sure that Noel had inadvertantly sent the wrong attachment because the recording is so amazing, clear, professional and heart-stopping. Emma's voice is like a tall glass of lemonade, full of crystal clear cubes of ice, as droplets of water slide down the sides of the glass with the sun shining through the refreshing tartness of the contents, sitting on a table filled with vases of flowers and lovely edible treats where your favorite person waits for you to join them....all of that and more! She possesses an ethereal quality in her voice that resonates of angels, every now and then a sweetness, grounded in reality, that sweeps you away into the lyrics and brings tears to the eyes and a lump in the throat to imagine that this is the voice of someone you know...someone in your very own gene-pool! This girl is only just beginning to dip her toe into adulthood. I have no doubt of her parent's ability to protect her from harm while encouraging her to expand and experience all that life has to offer her as she zooms ahead of 'the crowd' and follows her star. She is a star. She shines as brightly as any sparkling light that God ever created. I can't wait to see what comes next for her. It's just a little bit sad that I am so surprised by her talent. It is a statement of my absence in her life, that I didn't know this greatness in her. I have always known she is beautiful, loving, kind, sweet, artistic, independent, intelligent....the list is endless. But to not know she possessed such a singing talent is heartbreaking. Was heartbreaking....I am no longer oblivious to her "hidden" ablility. Several years ago, during a family reunion at my brother's ranch in San Gregorio, California, she sang with her cousin for a 'talent show' the kids produced for all to enjoy. They stood aloft, on a platform near the ceiling of the barn, singing some popular tune they both knew. Their voices blended beautifully and giggles spiked their performance. I couldn't tell which voice belonged to which girl. We enjoyed it, I remember thinking they had really good voices, but the realization of their talent never really hit me. Part of the reason, I'm sure, were the distractions of the other kids, being with the family all together again after many years of distance and busy lives that had kept from oneanother's company, the novelty of having the kids band together to put on such a performance...many reasons. But when I look back now, I can recall how surprised I was by their ability to sing a'capella and stay on key. Even when Noel told me that Emma had been chosen to sing at her classes graduation from Junior High School to High School, I think I kind of dismissed it as her having the kind of talent that merely exceeds that of her classmates, maybe also an element of her willingness to perform. BOY WAS I WRONG ABOUT THAT!!! I suppose by now you've grown quite weary of my crowing about my granddaughter. Just as any of us, soon enough, grow weary of another's endless stack of photographs and bragging about grandkids, I'm sure you've heard just about enough. Keep in mind, however, that someday, probably soon, if you're really lucky, you will be hearing this gem on the radio or be seeing her on television, or on stage. Emma Faith Scofield....a star is in the wings!

No comments:

Post a Comment