Thursday, July 5, 2012

It's been a long, long time....

Now I've lost the urge to write. I have forgotten how to get onto my blog to write again, and now it's like pulling teeth to try to come up with something that even the most devoted follower would want to read. Yesterday was Independence Day, which I pretty much missed. I used to love the parades and fireworks. I have even participated in many parades, riding horses or providing one for a young participant. Even as I write this, memories, fond memories flood my thoughts of years long past. As a kid, growing up in Belmont California, my folks would take us down to the rodeo in Redwood City held each year near Frank's Tannery. All those places are gone now, replaced by businesses and hotels. There used to be parades that lasted for hours with horses, bag pipers, marching bands, floats and convertible cars with beauty queens sitting on the back seats waving gloved hands, their tiaras sparkling in the midday sun. Always there were the antique automobile clubs driving their beautifully restored cars, mostly black and shiney with wood spoked wheels and "OOOGAH" horns, their occupants wearing period clothing, dusters and goggles. They would zig zag down the middle of Main Street (literally) proudly smiling and waving to the throngs of people lining the sidewalks. Crowded sidewalks, with coolers, lawn chairs and strollers...flags hung from light posts, happy faces cheering and waving in return like a scene from a movie about Anytown, USA. These happy memories must be what created my passion for horses, classic cars and bag pipes...maybe not so much beauty queens though. Well, life and all of its distractions are pulling me away from my musings. Now that I have renewed my connetion with this blog, I promise to come back again when the spirit moves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment