Thursday, July 19, 2012

I have never been one to use earphones/headphones but having recently come across a set that were included with my old laptop, I decided to leave them in an accessible place and today actually plugged them in and now I am typing to the lilting harmonies of beautiful Hawaiian music, courtesy of Pandora Radio. What a wonderful world! I've been swept away to those soft sands, shaded by palms and gently lapped by aquamarine clear waters. Memories of canoe races and healthy tanned bodies that we once all lived in, never once dreaming we too would be aged and stiff. Ah, Kailua beach! Auntie Margret and Uncle Don, their lovely home on Wanaao Rd. where Pua and Ronnie now live. Ardie, now dead from cancer (long time) taught me how to make a haku lei which I wore on a white Panama hat for decades. Nane'a now cooking for real, talented and capable. Kaipo, who I still hold in high esteem for her breathtakingly beautiful hula, now works for the Hawaiian people helping them to re-establish their lands that the haoles greedily took during their years of occupation. And the gift of the Hawaiian plate lunch...teriyaki, white rice and macaroni salad...so ONO! Mahalo for your influence on my family with the concept of ohana and aloha. All the world could take a great lesson from the Hawaiian spirit, where men are fearless warriors, women are graceful and sexy and the keikis (kids) run free and happy. Yes, there are much deeper aspects of their culture, but every individual seems to also be blessed with these fine features, inner happiness, confidence, love and appreciation of family and honor for the aged. I am happy to think that when Roxie and Kay lived in Hawaii so many decades ago with Kay Jr. and Roxannie down the road from Don and Margret with Kaipo, Michael, Pua and Terry they had some idea of how these two families would be forever intertwined. Jim, myself and Eric were yet to born during those years, although Roxie and Margret were pregnant with we two Virgos, born within five days of oneanother. Even today, when generations later (Baili, Ben and Kaylanne) spent time in those sacred islands, their influence is deeper than just the call of the water, sun and scents that permiate the air. These young also feel their connection, deep within them, that longs for the island lifestyle. Those four friends, Kay and Don, Roxie and Margret, really started something......I wonder if they had any idea.

1 comment:

  1. It is truly so amazing the power of music to transport us places. I love hearing about your memories on the Island and your old family friends. Who doesn't want a little island time of their own. That's kind of always what summer time has been to me.

    ReplyDelete